Nine years ago, an enthusiastic recent college grad started working at our front desk answering the phone. Over time, her energy and can-do attitude made us trust her with new responsibilities she was interested in. We gave her plenty of room and support to grow while she blazed a trail deep into the world of digital marketing.
With a competitive spirit and an eye to the future, Alissa Menke became the youngest shareholder jhP has had. She now leads our Digital Media team. While it’s easy for us to say what we love about Alissa, it was a nice surprise to discover her personal blog saying what she loves about us. After bribing her with cookies, Alissa agreed to let us share her post with you. Congrats on nine years, Alissa!
No, we didn’t just jump forward in time. Leo’s still five. (Thank goodness!)
The double-digits I’m referring to is my time at jhP. Last week I hit my nine-year anniversary mark, so I’ve officially embarked on the final year of my first decade of employment here.
Yeah, I said first decade. (Nearly 1/3 of my life thus far.) At this rate I can’t really see myself anywhere other than jhP, so I wouldn’t be surprised if I spend a few more decades doing this advertising/marketing thing. It’s fun, so why not?
In lieu of waxing poetic (because let’s face it, I don’t do that well), here are five reasons why jhP is the best fit for me:
1. I’m happy here. I know that sounds cliche. But really, I don’t know a whole lot of other people that love their job as much as I love mine. The older I get, the more clear that becomes. I’m incredibly fortunate that I’ve found work that I enjoy doing, people that I enjoy working with and an environment that I like coming to. It really adds to the overall quality of my life.
2. Ability to create my own path. I started at the front desk when I initially came to jhP. (At that point who even knew digital marketing would be a big thing?) With my studio art degree, I knew next to nothing about advertising. Hard work, goals and encouraging mentors (who also happen to be my bosses) allowed me to experience lots of things and grow in the direction that best suited me and my interests. Eight years ago I got into account service. A few years later I focused on social media. Now I’m running the digital marketing department. Boom. I couldn’t have predicted it, but it couldn’t be a better fit.
3. Entrepreneurial spirit. Ever since I was little I’ve known I wanted to own my own business. I just didn’t know what type of business, nor was I sure I was comfortable with the incredible amount of time investment/risk/pressure that brings. Enter jhP. In 2007, I became a shareholder, and suddenly I was able to tap into that spirit withIN an established company – as an INtrapreneur. I have the opportunity to own and help lead a company, but the risk and pressure of that doesn’t fall solely on my shoulders. There’s an entire team of passionate shareholders that work together to guide this ship. And I still get vacations where I can unplug. It doesn’t get much better than that.
4. Incredible flexibility. Throughout the various stages of my life, jhP has been very flexible allowing my work schedule to work with my life. When I was starting my career, I was able to attend all kinds of networking events and professional development meetings/conferences. As I became a mom, I’ve had time to do all the mom things that sometimes happen during the course of the work day. When shit happens, jhP is flexible enough to work with me so I can get things taken care of.
5. Sweet perks. Royals games. Company lunches/picnics. Holiday parties. Impromptu ice cream breaks. Crazy birthday cards. Group outings. National conferences and trainings. Free soda at work. (Hey, this Dt. Pepsi-drinker appreciates the little things.) Beer :30 on Fridays … Oh yeah, and those grown-up things like bonuses, the 401K match and fully covered health insurance for employees. It’s all good!